Listen to the full interview:
How did he start working on Mile1?
- Had a friend back in Winnipeg who worked in retail and saw the retailer's struggles in entering the world of ecommerce
- Mile1 is trying to fix what Canada Post is doing wrong
- About 1.5 years ago, Zach joined his friend as a co-founder
How did Zach start working on Oso Simply?
- Oso Simply is a passion project for Zach
- He has always been passionate about sustainability and about 3 years ago he ran a race and raised enough money to plant 500 trees
- The next year he wanted to raise enough money to plant 1,000 trees, but didn't want to be the annoying guy trying to raise money
- Oso Simply was his solution to that problem
How does Oso Simply work?
- It's a way to donate money for charity by watching ads - it's donating to charity for free!
- They have ads on their site that you can watch to support different organizations and initiatives
What big milestones has Oso Simply hit?
What progress has Mile1 made?
- Mile1 launched in April 2019
- Passed 1,000 deliveries after about 10 months
- Passed 4,000 deliveries 3 months later
- Now working with 35-40 retailers in Toronto, including some international brands
How does Zach manage having a full-time job as a consultant while also working on Mile1 & Oso Simply?
- It can be difficult, but good time management is the key
- He tries to make good use of his 9-5 and then be efficient with his time spent on his other projects
- Bringing on team members for the other projects has helped, because now he can delegate tasks and rely on his teammates
What is Zach's end goal?
- With everything he does, his goal is to contribute to a more sustainable future
- He wants to develop the skills necessary to help people's lives improve, without destroying the earth